Thursday, December 29, 2005

FAQ - Material

Q. Where do you get your beads, stones and components?
A. I get them from bead shops in Singapore such as BeadHub, Beads Etc and some shops at Arab Street (I think all beaders know about Kin Lee) as well as from shops overseas when I travel (mainly to the US).

I'm also very blessed to have wonderful BlingFriends around the world who send me unusual findings and other bits and bobs. I get a lot of my high-quality lead-free charms from the US.

It took time, research and expensive mistakes to grow the stash I have today. Whilst I'm happy to share some information, please understand that a gal likes to have some secrets *wink*

Q. Do you really personally select the beads, stones and components?
A. Absolutely, where feasible. One of my favourite aspects of this hobby is shopping and I spend A LOT of time going through strands of stones and beads to choose the best ones. I almost never buy stones online.

I'm quite fussy about the quality of materials used and as a general rule, will not get something I won't use for a special present or for myself.

Please understand, though, that natural stones and minerals are not flawless. Some stones are not perfectly shaped, for example, and some may have little pits and other irregularities. These little quirks give the stones character, I feel.

Q. Are the stones/minerals you use natural or man-made?
A. Unless otherwise specified, they're all natural to the best of my knowledge. I tell you what the shopkeepers tell me. I do no know how to verify if stones/minerals are natural or not and so have to rely on the word of those who sell these things.

Q. What other materials do you use?
I like to incorporate unusual materials into some creations. I've used fengshui objects, lace, coins, flowers and other things.

Q. What material are your ear hooks/ear posts made of?
A. Quality matters, so I use only 925 silver or 14K gold-filled ear hooks or ear posts. These materials cost more, but they tend not to irritate skin.

I *sometimes* use nickel-free brass.


Q. What is gold-filled?
A. I'm getting really irritated by people who are trying to pass off gold-fill for gold. Gold-fill is almost as good as gold and it lasts as long, but it's NOT the gold you get in goldsmith shops.

Gold-filled describes a process where gold is permanently bonded to a metal core. Gold-filled items generally have much more gold content (100 times more) than gold-plated items, and hence tend to cost more as well. Gold-filled doesn't tarnish (with proper care) and tends not to irritate sensitive skin. If you can wear gold, you can wear gold-filled.

Most beaders and costume jewellery makers use gold-plated items. If anyone tells you they use gold, ask if it's gold-plated or gold-filled. VERY SELDOM is gold used because it's expensive. Real jewellery shops are your best bet for real gold.

Items with gold plated components tend to be cheaper than items with gold-filled components as gold-filled components can cost up to 10 times more -- gold-filled components last a lot longer and retain their lustre better.

Gold-plated components are GREAT for more casual items. If you want to acquire items with gem-quality stones, your best bet is to look for components using gold-fill.

Q. What sort of beading wire do you use?
A. I use a high-end brand and sometimes Beadalon for some pieces. I never use nylon.

Back to Blingalicious Home