Friday, December 30, 2005

About Me & My Creations

(Updated as of August 2007)

My name is Simone and I'm a Blingaholic :-)

Getting Crafty At An Early Age
I've been a "crafty" person from the time I could hold a pencil and event learnt to knit at the tender age of 5 or 6, using satay sticks. My cousin Belinda taught me to knit to shut me up because I used to bug her with incessant chatter and endless "how" and "why"questions. Hahahaha!

Throughout the creative journey, I've dabbled in painting, crochet, knitting, scrapbooking, dressmaking, lampworking, glass fusing, clay work, embroidery and of course jewellery-making.

In the Beginning ....
This jewellery-making obsession began in 2005. It started simply enough, with just a few beads and some basic tools. Today, I have enough beads, gems, findings and tools to start a little shop ... hahaha! And I have a full-time demanding job in IT (i used to write for a major publishing group but got into IT 10 years ago) and will be initiated into mommyhood in Nov, so it has taken lots of time-management skills to keep going ... that, and letting the house get real messy!

Over the past two years, my style has evoled too. But I'm a bit of an eccentric creator because I never know what will be made beforehand. When inspiration strikes, little bits and bobs emerge out of their boxes, a right royal MESS is created and then, somehow, a creation comes into being :))

Obsession with Quality
One big lesson I've learnt is to focus on quality. That is why I buy the best quality stones and components I can afford. That way, you get something that lasts longer and retains its value longer too.

I even use quality components in places you can't see. For example, I NEVER use nylon wire or the cheap stuff for stringing projects. I use only the best multi-strand coated, kink-resistant beading wire. For seed bead projects, I use silk thread.

Quality extends to workmanship too, and I'm rather fussy about that. Wherever humanly possible, I strive for neat wirework and even loops. What's the point of having something LOOK good on the surface but be so shoddily constructed that it breaks easily.

That said though, hand-crafted items tend to be more fragile, so some tender loving care will go a long way :))

End of Ramble ... At Last
Alright, ramble over.

Thanks again for visiting. I hope you enjoy looking around! If you're interested in any of the available creations, or even those that have been reserved or sold, do drop me an e-mail!

Back to Blingalicious Home